If you’re struggling to keep up with the pace of holiday hustle and bustle, you may be turning to energy drinks for a quick pick-me-up. So we’ve got you covered with today’s Love it, Like it, Hate it, Getting the Skinny with Molly on the best & worst of energy drinks + caffeinated pick-me-ups on shelves.
For comparison: Cup of coffee typically has 100 mg caffeine; cup of green tea has approximately 25-35 mg caffeine.
- 0 calories – 0 carb – 0 sugar
- Matcha: Green tea leaves, ground into fine powder. Whole leaf powder is mixed into water for tea, instead of water infused through the tea leaves, so get even more of the antioxidant benefit of green tea leaves.
Yerba Mate – leaf, shot or unsweetened bottled
- 0 calories, 0 sugar; 140 mg caffeine per bottle or shot
- Yerba Mate is an herbal tea traditionally consumed in central and southern regions of South America
Nuun energy tablets – water bottle add-ins
- 10 calories – 4 grams carb – 1 gram sugar – 40 mg caffeine from green tea extract
- Naturally sweetened with monkfruit + stevia; no artificial sweeteners or colors
- 16 calories, 0 sugar, with 80 mg green tea caffeine per serving
- Beetroot extract => enhanced energy + workout recovery, plus healthy blood pressure, circulation and increased oxygen delivery
PJ’S COFFEE | Eat Fit Approved Protein Velvet Ice | Jingle Bells is seasonal flavor thru 12/31
- Per 20-ounce Coffee Drink: 290 calories, 28 grams carb, 3 grams fiber, 10 gram sugar (3 grams added sugar), 25 grams protein
Hiball Sparkling Energy Water – Zero Calories
- 0 cals, B vitamins, ginseng; 160 mg caffeine per 16-oz can
- No artificial sweeteners or colors
Hi-Ball Sparkling Energy – with Sugar
- Per can: 160 calories & 38 grams ADDED sugar per can + 160 mg caffeine
- Water, glucose, guarana, ginseng, caffeine
- Natural ingredients, but more than a day’s worth of added sugar
Red Bull – sugar-free and regular
- Per can: 0 calories, 0 sugar, 80 mg caffeine
- Ingredients include caffeine, B vitamins, amino acid taurine
- Sugar in regular; artificial sweeteners acesulfame potassium & aspartame in sugar-free version
To catch the full segment on WGNO.com, click here.